Sunday, December 5, 2010

Life Intentions

I read a blog recently called Make Under My Life that really had me thinking about stuff.  She talks about the this concept of "Designing your Life" based on a few of your life's intentions.  By naming those goals or aspects of life that are important to you,  it helps to do daily activities that actually line up with what your say you want.  Far too often what I do does not refect where I want to be.  Its neat too, because you see other peoples and although everyone's "Life Intentions" are good, they may not be your own.  So you see the difference in the convictions that God places on peoples hearts.

Here are a few of mine.  This is not at all inclusive, but these are just the ones that I feel that God has burdened me with recently.

I have loved traveling ever since my first mission trip to Peru in highschool.  Whether it was 2 months in Panama City or 2 weeks in Ukraine I never ever seemed to get homesick.  I can sleep anywhere and my personality type is laid back.  My old boss used to joke that I was "too calm" in a stressful situation and she wished I would freak out a little.  :)   I also love to meet people who aren't like me.  Do you know the feeling that you are just "on"? Like that is your element?  I feel more comfortable with and love getting to know different people.  Sometimes I feel like God "built" me to travel. I'm not sure what this will look like, but I know that it will be a part of my life.  



Living Simply, for me, would mean everything from an uncluttered home to an uncluttered schedule.  Getting rid of things that are "just things" and activities that are just things to do, so that I am not maxing out my time, space, or money.  I want to be more deliberate and intentional with the resources I have.  Coincidentally, this morning I was reading in The Good and Beautiful God and He named this concept your margin.   
"Margin restores balance and restores the soul, thus increasing our capacity for joy."

Giving selflessly for me would include a few things.  One would be specifically the time and energy I give to my high school girls group.  They are juniors now, so I only have another year and half with them (I've been with them since 6th grade!).  Sometimes I feel like I'm not giving them all that they need and I'd like to change that.  Another specific burden I have is for the hungry. My mom told me about people in Haiti who eat mud pie's just to fill their stomach with something. It's not only made me consider my spending more, on food in particular, but I feel like I want to do something about it. How or what to do I have no idea, but it's another one of those things that I'll be praying about. 


The most important one :)  There are days where I am WAY more aware of the fact that nothing really matters in the whole world besides loving God and loving his people, then there are days where it seems like other things are more important.  This is the foremost intention for my life.

2 comments:

  1. great post nat! you are totally speaking my language! well minus the traveling part :) have you gotten to the hurry part of the book yet? it will completely reshape the way you used to see "being busy" from being a good thing to how it can be not so great after all. simple mom is such a great read too. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i gotta say this was a great read! everything you mentioned with traveling, giving, living as simple as possible and most importantly, loving Jesus are the 4 things i deal with. thank you for posting this! maybe i should read her blog b/c it seems like positive stuff.

    ReplyDelete