Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Contemplations of Last Week

Why has it been a while since my last post??
Because I didn't think I had anything fun or interesting to share.
But blogs are supposed to be about being honest with what's going on, right?
So here's the truth.

Not sure how it started, but a few weeks ago I got the overwhelming feeling that I was BORED with where I was in life. I felt like I was supporting/helping other people with their dreams in life and I had been neglecting realizing my own. Or that I was celebrating great joys in others lives, but not experiencing any of my own. Thing is, I know this is all good stuff though, but for some reason I wasn't satisfied.

Dennis spoke last week about the comparison trap as a sabotage to our spiritual walk. I knew when I walked into church that day that it was something God wanted me to hear. I was late that day (I know. Shocker, right?) and leaned over to Val after I saw the sermon title and said "Hmm, I guess someone wanted me to miss this :)." It's funny how you think you have something under control then, then you fail miserably at it and realize "Oh yeah, I haven't ARRIVED." Apparently God was trying to teach me something.

It so easy to get caught up in comparison these days. We have facebook where people post only the very best about themselves (and pictures only of their "good side"). And even our close friends sometimes have trouble with being honest when things are tough, because they will seem weak or like a failure (I'm guilty of this). When really, all it's creating is discontent when you look at your own life, because you expectations are not realistic.

With the need to just get out of Lafayette, I went to BR for the weekend to hang out with Jenny. It was the greatest little break! We went to Joel's baseball game, slept late, saw Eclipse (which was AMAZING!), went to church, and just got to talk one-on-one. I told her how I was feeling and she was so encouraging! We even started saying things like "Ok, well I am jealous that you get to....". Lol! She helped me see some things that I take for granted. I know the whole "grass is greener on the other side" thing, but it really hit me that people look around at everyone and see things that they wish they had, so why not just appreciate and love our "grass" when we are there as opposed to after we've left.

So, Jenny, Thank you so much for a wonderful refreshing weekend that I need more than you know! It was perfect and I would love to return the favor, whenever you need a break! This is a pic of me & Jenny, not from this weekend, but a while back. I picked this one, because we have no makeup on and it's my bad side :)

I know a lot of this is elementary, but it was a great refresher that I need to be open and honest about the tough stuff, grateful for the good stuff, and dream about the great stuff. My prayer is for God to open my eyes to His great plan for my UNIQUE life, not anyone else's plan.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE it!! A new post was long-awaited, but well worth the wait :) Jealous of the 1-on-1 time y'all had, but so glad that y'all were able to encourage each other...that's what it's all about! Can't wait to see you girls!!!

    P.S.--The pic is beautiful, of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw nat! i'm so glad you decided to come :) your transparency is truly inspiring--thanks for being so honest and paving the way. love you!

    can't wait for nashville!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat, love the blog. Thanks for sharing. I miss you!!
    P.S. The bad side isn't so bad :)

    ReplyDelete